Oak Parlor Guitar (IW#98)



This is a really nice little parlor, made entirely out of a single oak beam from the Shaw piano.  This is the second one I have built from one of these beams.  The first one is here.  There were five of these beams on the piano, so theoretically there could be five guitars.  The beams are large enough (about 4" x 5" x 36") that I can get the back, sides, and neck out of one of them, and I like the idea of an instrument being made entirely out of one piece of wood.

You can see that there is a screw hole left over from the piano that I filled with resin, I like the way that speaks to a former life.  Oak as a material is really punchy and very bright, and this instrument came out pretty well I think. 

This one lives with an old friend of mine, and when I delivered it we got to sit for a minute and play music together.  I had not seen him in a long long time, and it was so nice to reconnect through music and through musical instruments.  What a gift.

Here's the demo video:


Comments