Long Leaf Pine Tenor Guitar (IW#128)








I had this really nice, straight-grained piece of Long Leaf Pine sitting around, and I have been wondering what an instrument made out of that would sound like.  So here it is.  Spruce top, of course, from a piano sound board, but the rest came from an old beam that was removed during some construction here a few years ago in a century-old building.


I bound the headstock, which I think makes it look a little more finished, and just for fun I offset the fret markers, which just makes it a little more quirky.  The binding is tortoiseshell, which looks good with the long leaf pine, so I got some tortoiseshell dots to match.  The fingerboard is dogwood from my folks land in North Carolina.

It is pretty loud for such a little guitar, with a very present high end.  Here is a little recording:




Comments