Victrobass (IW#82)







There is a fellow here in town that buys old Victrolas and dismantles them to turn them into wine cabinets.  Seems to do a pretty brisk business in them, which is cool with me.


i happened to be in his shop a couple of months ago, and saw the horns sitting out on in a pile.  He kindly gave a couple of them to me, and they really are beautiful objects.  cast iron and wood, with lovely sweeping curves.  Really nice.

So this one sat around the shop for a while, and I kept looking at it, and eventually it became clear that it needed a voice again.  After a couple of false starts it has turned into a one string bass.  I am playing a lot of one string bass these days, which is funny because I have no idea how to play bass.  I even have an actual bass, but no idea what the heck to do with it.

Anyway, it is just a hoot to play this thing.  Not the best sound, but the abject silliness of it makes up for that.  Here it is in action:  The VictroBass.




Comments